Honest random thoughts.
* Spring semester started two weeks ago, but I haven’t gotten back into the swing of things yet. I’m sure it will hit me about a week before my first exam. Right now I’m flying through The Magicians by Lev Grossman, trying to finish it before I start studying hardcore. Normally I am not into fantasy novels but I decided to give some other genres a try, and I am enjoying this book. The idea of a parallel universe is intriguing.
* I had a CPR class this weekend. I had taken a Red Cross CPR training in 2008 so I knew to expect plenty of hands-on practical interaction with other classmates. My first thought when I woke up that morning was, “I can’t do this. I should probably just cancel.” But I pushed through and I was fine until we had to simulate the Heimlich Maneuver on each other and then I freaked a little. I didn’t want to touch my partner or be touched by my partner. And my partner was totally cool so I don’t know what I was worried about. I broke out in stress hives and just wanted to make a mad dash for the door. But, I powered through and nothing bad happened. I don’t know where the fear comes from. Deep down, I enjoy being around people. I’m not a germaphobe. I just get incredibly anxious around strangers =/ This is something I need to work on. Physical contact will be a big part of my upcoming training, so I might as well get used to the idea now.
* I marvel at the eating habits of others and I wonder how some people are still alive (myself included!). My husband’s diet wasn’t all that bad to start with, yet he got sick and had to completely change his habits. No beer, no coffee, nothing fried or fatty. At least for right now, anyway. It’s a lifelong thing he will have to learn to manage. It doesn’t seem quite right. I know it isn’t for me to judge or question. Wake up calls appear in the strangest ways, I guess.
* In 2008, I followed political news very closely. I blogged about it. I shared my opinions openly and often on Facebook and MySpace (yes, I had a MySpace in 2008! Not anymore though.) This year, I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it. It’s not apathy, I do care. I do have opinions. I just don’t care to share like I did back then. Perhaps that will change when it gets closer to time to vote. I don’t know.
* I was telling my husband last night during the Golden Globes that I wasn’t all that impressed with the movies of 2011. Only a few really excited me enough to leave the house and go see it at the theater. My favorite movie of 2011 was Midnight in Paris. My favorite director is Quentin Tarantino. So of course I was thrilled when I saw Midnight in Paris was also his favorite! I don’t agree with some of his other choices and there are many I haven’t seen yet, but good list. Beginners was my second favorite. If you haven’t seen either one of those yet, I highly recommend both.
* I don’t really know how to end this post, but it’s Martin Luther King Jr Day, so why not end it with a quote?
Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each ot her; they don’t know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.- MLK